Respond to at least two colleagues by offering a suggestion for how your colleague might gain political and/or lobbying experience for the political issue your colleagues described. Also, explain the steps you might take to incorporate policy advocacy in your practice based on insights, experiences, and/or opinions your colleagues described. Be sure your explanation takes the perspective of a social work professional with a responsibility to uphold professional ethics.
Support your response with specific references to the resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references.
Colleague 1: Marilyn
Post an explanation of the role of lobbying and campaigning in social work practice: The role of lobbying and campaigning in social work practice According NASW Lobbyists are key figures in the political process, using a combination of political contacts, persuasion and public relations skills to represent the interests of organizations such as corporations, charities and labor unions to influence legislation. Although sometimes portrayed as operators who push for laws that benefit narrow interests at the expense of the general public, lobbyists can — and sometimes do — serve as advocates for social issues related to education, health and safety(NASW,2020).
Explain how you think social workers might have a powerful and positive effect as elected officials : I believe social workers might have a powerful and positive effect as elected officials because they want to help our clients live better lives. Policies help to protect our clients from discrimination, racism, or bullying. Policies help our clients live more productive lives by supplementing their income, providing health care, or by obtaining needed medical treatments.
Explain of the impact, if any, the experiences and opinions of your colleagues have had on your own experiences and opinions: I love opinions from my colleagues it helps with move for improvement, feedback is important to me, I have gain a lot of knowledge from my experiences and it helps me with growth. Also taking courses and researching about topics is important to me, it helps me get a better understanding of the different situations in Social Work Practice.
(National Association Social Work ,2020): www.socialwork.org/Advocacy
Colleague 2: Jaime
Explain the role of lobbying and campaigning in social work practice.
Social workers represent and empower those that are disempowered as a lobbyist.
Professionals serve best in this role than most because they can see the effects of law in their day to day actions, creating empathy and connection with the community.
8 Principles SW can use to assist in lobbying endeavors:
- Identify issues and desired goals.
- Collect the facts.
- Familiarization with decision makers and consequent staff.
- Propose strategies and establish tactics.
- Provide leadership
- Persistence is key; however, compromise is commendable.
- Develop partnerships.
- Evaluate your endeavors (PTN, 2020).
Then, explain how you think social workers might have a powerful and positive effect as elected officials.
Social workers across the country serve in a range of political institutions, from school boards to city and county offices and state legislatures (NASW, 2020).
Justifications for Social Workers to Serve as Political Candidates and Run for Office
- Elected officials devoted to the values and ethics of social work can write, co-sponsor, and vote for legislation that becomes public policy.
- Social workers can bring a human face to policy by taking what they witness in direct practice and bringing it to the political arena (PTN, 2020).
- Skilled, trained, communicators with concrete ideas about how to empower communities.
- Recognize social problems and know human relations.
- Commitment to improving the quality of life brings a vital perspective to public decision-making.
- Great candidates because they are well educated, articulate, and experienced in public speaking.
- Skills also include being comfortable with persuasion, and knowledgeable about their communities.
- Professionals understand social problems and are committed to social justice.
- Appreciate how policies affect individuals and communities they serve.
- Use their skills as campaign managers, volunteer coordinators, and political directors.
- Convert into legislative jobs in which social workers shape policy, and help by working with federal, state, and local agencies.
- Explain interest in campaigns and desired appointments in state and local agencies, overseeing key government agencies to influence the practice of social work and seek social justice.
- Social workers are attracted to politics through an issue or cause and are as equally accomplished as many current officeholders.
- Recognition of the opportunity to make changes on a broader scale while providing leadership to enrich their communities (NASW, 2020).
Finally, explain of the impact, if any, the experiences, and opinions of your colleagues have had on your own experiences and opinions.
I just want to say that I learn something about myself and my local community each quarter. I enjoy the opportunity to participate in discussions about such demanding topics. I simply adore the way the people in this class can have a discussion with differing opinions, while keeping their integrity intact. Thank you all for being mature and having these conversations openly and honestly.
Cheers to you all and may you coast through the rest of your program with ease.
National Association of Social Workers, (NASW). (2020). Why Social Workers Should Run for Office, https://www.socialworkers.org/Advocacy/Political-A…
Psychotherpay.net (PTN). (2020). Social Workers Effecting Change: Legislative Advocacy by Influencing Social Policy, https://www.psychotherapy.net/video/social-work-legislativeadvocacy#:~:text=As%20a%20lobbyist%2C%20a%20social,social%20workers%20have%20to%20tell.